Mackenna Smith – Kingsway HS – Gloucester County Chamber Community Service Awards 2015

Mackenna Smith – Kingsway HS – Gloucester County Chamber Community Service Awards 2015



Mackenna Smith – Kingsway HS – Gloucester County Chamber Community Service Awards 2015

Community Involvement:
I have served as a leader in many aspects of my life. This year I am the president of Kingsway’s installment of the National Honor Society, the Advisor of Interact Club, the Chairperson (and founder) for the Battle of the Bands, and the Vice Student Director of the Ronald McDonald House of Southern New Jersey’s Teen Advisory Council.
National Honor Society allows me to advise a bright group of intellectuals and urge them to get more involved in school and community events! Interact Club has taught me that there is always something more to do or to be involved in. Through this club I have helped with Toys for Tots, the Giving Tree, Thanksgiving food drives, the Prom Dress Drop, and the Captain Ryan K. Ianelli Memorial Home Run Derby.

Last year I founded Kingsway’s Battle of the Bands in which 75% of the proceeds are donated to the Ronald McDonald House of Southern New Jersey, and the other 25% goes back to the Interact Club. Because of this event our school has now raised over $6,000 for the Ronald McDonald House in Camden. My involvement with the Teen Advisory Club at the House has allowed for me to meet inspirational families from all over the world. I assist in planning our annual bowling event, Spare Some Love. Over my two years with the council, we have raised over $55,000 for the Ronald McDonald House of Southern New Jersey at this event.

I have been involved in my community throughout my Elementary and High School years. I am a senior Girl Scout, which has allowed me to grow as a volunteer. I have helped with Baby Bundles (a charity for battered women and unwed mothers), the Veterans’ Project in South Harrison, Cookies for the Troops, Roadside Cleanups, and many food drives over the years. Through Girl Scouts, I earned my Bronze Award by creating birdhouses and birdbaths for the local birds in South Harrison. We placed these creations at Stewart Park, the home of our South Harrison Twp. Little League, so that the community could see what we achieved. I earned my Silver Award by raising money to purchase craft items, project kits, and storage units for the Child Life Dept. at Cooper Regional Hospital in Camden, so that the pediatric patients would have something to occupy their time during treatment for their injuries and illnesses.

Because of the hours I have spent volunteering, I earned a Presidential Volunteer Service Award. Through these organizations, I have allowed myself the opportunity to lead others, plan, and organize, and grow as a volunteer. My community involvement has helped with shaping my plans for the future, creating relationships with people,and realizing the importance in making a difference in the world.